Ephesians 3:17.."that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love,"

Thursday, June 7, 2018

ABC's of Shabbat

When I first started keeping Shabbat, I didn't have the best attitude.  If I had a list like this to help me transition out of a self-centered Saturday to a holy, Christ -centered Shabbat, it wouldn't have taken me so long to appreciate how beautiful and set-apart this day can truly become.  May your Shabbats be richly blessed!

Acts of Love-Above all days, lets speak and have actions of love
Bike ride- A leisurely ride and praying as you go.
Create and decorate a Bible/Prayer journal
Design a Bible Study just for you
Erev Shabbat Meal-light some candles and pray and eat together as a family.  My daughter likes to set the table extra special for Shabbat meal.
Feed the Duck or birds.  This is relaxing thing to do if you have littles.  Letting them appreciate God's creation.
Gather with believers.  We are commanded to fellowship with like minded believers.  This can be a lonely path, and we need to sharpen each other weekly.
Hospitality-Open your home to others to share a simple meal and encourage fellowship
Inspect your Heart- It is important to have a weekly check up to remove any bitterness, anger or unresolved issues to truly have a healing Shabbat.
Jigsaw puzzle- If you can truly relax(I can't) doing a 10,000 piece puzzles, it's a nice activity during those long peaceful summer Shabbats.
Knit a gift- One Shabbat I was home with my sick toddler and was able to knit a baby hat for my niece.
Listen to Worship or a favorite sermon or teaching.  This creates such a wonderful atmosphere to welcome in Shabbat.
Make a card --Snail mail is dying art.  Especially something hand made.  Add a verse and encouragement. If you are feeling creative, this will truly bless someone.  If you just write a card, it will equally bless the receiver.
Nature Walk- I love doing this with my family.  Peaceful family walk. Surrounded by God's beautiful handiwork.
Organize a prayer group- This a great way to welcome in Shabbat for Erev Shabbat or for the end of Shabbat as a Havdalah.
Pray-If a group setting is not your thing, then get in that prayer closet
Quiz your family on Bible Trivia- We like doing this on Friday Nights in the winter when Shabbat begins at 4pm.
Read the Word- This needs to be one of the first things we do
Sing Praises-This is a wonderful runner up
Talk with your spouse, kids, --I like to take this time to have one on one devotions with each of my girls and take the time to see how they are doing.
Unplug-In this day and age, this is an important thing to do.  We are so tied to our electronics, we need to cut the cord on Shabbat and focus on Him.
Visit the sick, homebound, new mother.  This a wonderful time to visit someone who is unable to attend services or needs to see Yeshua in you by giving your time to care.
Write in your prayer/Bible journal- This past 6 months I have incorporated a Bible Journal where I write the verses that minister to me during my devotions and I love it.  Decorating it is fun too!
Xamine your attitude- Shabbat is made for us. If you want to truly be blessed by it, your attitude may need to be adjusted.
Yeshua is the center of the day.  We keep Shabbat because we love Him. May all we do, point to Him on Shabbat and bring honor and glory to Him.
Zzzzzzzzzz.....Rest, nap...we worked 6 days and now it's time to rest. 




“Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy."  Exodus 20:8


No comments:

Post a Comment